How the ATO treats Uber & Airbnb style services: what you need to know

So what happens when you start driving for Uber and offering your home up for Airbnb?

Given that so many of these services are provided through sharing platforms, the Australian Tax Office (ATO) has the capacity to data match money flowing through to financial institutions specifically from these platforms.

A.    ‘Sharing’ a room or an entire house
Sharing a room or your house through services such as Airbnb can be a great way to earn income from an existing asset.  The tax treatment of what you earn from these services is the same as any other residential rental property arrangement.  This means you must include the rental income in your income tax return.  For example, if a husband and wife jointly own a property that they rent out through a sharing service, whatever they earn needs to be declared on their income tax returns in the same proportion as the ownership of the house in the year they earned the income.

Deductions you can claim
Hosts can also claim tax deductions for expenses associated to the rental, such as the interest on your home loan, professional cleaning, fees charged by the facilitator, council rates, insurance, etc.  But, these deductions need to be in proportion to how much and how long you rent your home out.  For example, if you rent your home for two months of the financial year, then you can only claim up to 1/6th of expenses such as interest on your home loan as a deduction.  This would need to be further reduced if you only rented out a specific portion of the home.

GST does not generally apply to residential rental income.

Capital Gains Tax
Be aware that renting out your home may have a direct impact on your tax-free main residence exemption for capital gains tax (CGT) purposes.  In general, your home is exempt from CGT when you sell it.  However, if you use your home to earn assessable income, then you might only qualify for a partial exemption on the sale unless special concessions apply.  If you are renting out part of your home while still living in the property, then it is unlikely that any gain you make on your home will be fully CGT-free.  You might also need to obtain a valuation of your home at the time it was first used to generate rental income.

B.    Ride sharing & sourcing
The ATO regards ride-sourcing services as a taxi service, which means that if you are providing these services, you need to register for GST regardless of how much you earn from driving.

Normally, taxpayers need to reach the $75,000 threshold before they are forced to register and remit GST but in the case of ‘taxi services’ this threshold does not apply.  The ATO is definitive in its stance that ride-source drivers provide taxi services.  The grace period for drivers to comply with the ATO’s strict stance expired on 1 August 2016 so all ride-source drivers should now be registered for GST.

If you already have an individual ABN, for example, you might do IT contracting, then you can use the same ABN for ride-source services and register for GST using this ABN.

Deductions you can claim
If you drive infrequently for a bit of cash on the side, you also need to declare any money you earn on your income tax return.  But, you can also claim any expenses you paid for providing ride-sharing services if you own or lease the car you use for ride-sourcing (i.e., it’s owned or leased in your name).  If you drive less than 5,000 kilometres in the financial year in the course of earning income, you could choose to simply claim a 66 cent per km deduction for the kilometres you travel while providing ride-source services.  Or, you can keep a log-book for 12 weeks to work out your deductions that way.  And, because you are registered for GST, you can also claim GST credits on expenses you incur in providing ride-source services.  Just be aware that if the car is not used exclusively for ride-sourcing, you can only claim deductions and GST credits for the portion of expenses that apply to providing ride-source services – not everything you spend.   Simply turning on the app is not enough – you need to be actually providing the service to claim a deduction.

Don’t hesitate to contact Leader Accountancy if you have further questions or doubts about this issue and our team will get back to you.